Dental veneers (also referred to as dental porcelain laminates or porcelain veneers) are an incredibly popular method of improving one’s smile and appearance. The veneers are custom-built shells that are extremely thin. These are designed to cover the front surfaces of teeth using a tooth-colored material to give the patient a natural looking, beautiful smile. With the ability to bond veneers to the teeth, the patient is able to alter the length, size, shape, and color of their teeth.
Generally speaking, veneers are most commonly used to address the following dental problems:
- Discolored teeth, often a result of a root canal treatment, stains from drugs, large resin fillings, or excessive fluoride
- Worn down teeth
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
- Irregularly shaped, misaligned, or uneven teeth
An excellent alternative to crowns, veneers are often chosen because of the more conservative nature of altering a tooth’s appearance. While there are certainly a number of additional treatments that would address the above issues, veneers are often chosen due to ease and convenience of treatment, especially when compared to the more involved, complex alternatives.
Veneers have shown tremendous longevity when the procedure is performed properly and the patient is able to take care of their oral hygiene. To schedule an appointment today, please contact our Royal Palm Beach office as soon as possible.
Benefits of Veneers
Most notably from a purely cosmetic standpoint, patients who receive veneers are thrilled with the way their smile looks following the treatment. The treatment helps patients to beautify their smile and fix the minor issues that often make a person uncomfortable to smile. Even something as simple as a space in between teeth may make a patient self-conscious about their smile. Veneers allow for the patient to feel confident and proud of their smile.
The following are some of the most prominent benefits of veneers:
- Porcelain veneers resist stains
- The patient is given a natural looking tooth appearance
- Porcelain and gum tissue work well together
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be chosen to match the other teeth or make them whiter
- A strong alternative to the more invasive alternatives
Those who are unhappy with the appearance of their smile are given a number of choices in terms of potential treatments and procedures. Veneers are often the treatment of choice due to the ease of the procedure, the convenience, and the attractive outcome.
The Downside to Veneers
Veneers generally will last for 8 to 15 years but can last longer with proper care. While veneers are certainly a favorable alternative to comparable treatments, there are certainly a few disadvantages associated with the dental treatment. As with any oral procedure, it is imperative for the patient to understand both the positive and negative aspects linked to the treatment, especially because many are irreversible. Therefore, patients should be aware of the following drawbacks associated with veneers:
- If they chip or crack, the veneers are not repairable
- Very costly procedure
- The procedure is irreversible
- Those who clench their jaws or grind their teeth are not favorable candidates for veneers
- It may be impossible to match the veneers exactly to the surrounding teeth
- Those who have unhealthy teeth are not favorable candidates for veneers
- Teeth may still suffer from decay with veneers
- While not likely, veneers have the potential to dislodge from the tooth and fall off
While there are certainly potential disadvantages to veneers, the majority of patients are extremely satisfied with their smile following this dental treatment. Those who undergo the veneers process are able to go about their day-to-day normally. With proper oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist, patients find that their smile is more attractive and adds confidence to their daily lives.