Proper oral hygiene is essential for the overall health of the human body. Dental education plays an important role in establishing good habits at a young age. In order to build and maintain strong teeth, healthy gums, and general health, one must be fully aware of the proper practices of oral hygiene. Keeping a clean mouth serves many purposes beyond appearance. Neglecting to take proper care of your teeth and gums can result in a number of health hazards due to the harmful bacteria and microbes that may exist inside of the mouth. However, regularly ensuring that healthy habits are being utilized will help to prevent any harmful bacterium and protect from oral infections.
Oral hygiene begins and ends with proper teeth cleaning. The following are some of the most important tips to keep in mind while taking care of your mouth:
- Brush at least twice a day, preferable after every meal
- Brush each tooth using gentle strokes that hit the gum line
- Be sure to clean the top, bottom, front, and back
- Brush for 2 minutes each time
- Use proper equipment: fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled brush
- Hold the brush at a slight angle using a back-and-forth motion
- Rinse toothbrush with water following each cleaning
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months, as bristles become frayed and less effective
While many of the above tips may appear as common sense brushing guidelines, far too many people neglect to implement them. In order to ensure the cleanest, oral infections free mouth, adhere to these brushing tips at all time. To learn more about your dental health, feel free to contact James Family Dentistry today!